Every Door Direct Mail can be a cost-effective direct mail solution for many types of businesses, local groups, and communities looking to reach a particular geographic target. However, it can be confusing on how and where to start. Here we answer some of the most frequently asked questions about EDDM.
What are the steps to using Every Door Direct Mail?
- First, you’ll want to use the USPS mapping tool to choose which postal carrier routes you’d like to send to. This will help you determine how many pieces you’d like to mail.
- Second, you’ll design your mailpiece or have your designer create one for you compliant with the EDDM size specifications.
- Then, you’ll be ready to bundle your mailpieces, drop them off at the appropriate Post Office(s) and pay for your postage.
Do I want to use EDDM—Retail or EDDM—BMEU?
This decision really comes down to how many pieces you are looking to mail in a day and what may be a most cost-effective solution for your business. If you are sending 200 to 5,000 mailpieces a day per zip code, EDDM—Retail is most likely your best option. If you have over 5,000 mailpieces and are looking to reach a larger area over time, EDDM—BMEU may be a better option for you.
Please refer to our Template Download or contact a customer service representative for more information.
Do I need a postage permit?
Postage permits are only required and used when you enter your mailing at a Business Mail Entry Unit (BMEU) and therefore only apply to those running EDDM—BMEU campaigns.
What are EDDM mailpiece size requirements?
Standard Mail® flats are the only type of mailpiece that can be used with EDDM—Retail. The following criteria is used to determine EDDM flat-sized mailpiece eligibility:
- Rectangular with four square corners or finished corners that do not exceed a radius of 1/8 inch.
- One of the following: more than 11.5 inches long, more than 6 1/8 inches high, or more than 1/4 inch thick. (Note: If an 8 1/2 x 11 piece is folded in half, the final dimensions would not be a flat-sized piece.)
- Not more than15 inches long, 12 inches high, or 3/4 inch thick.
- Orientation of the address does not matter, i.e., whether the address is applied parallel to the long or short side of the piece. However, the address must be in the top half of the piece.
What is the postage cost per mailpiece for EDDM?
The current EDDM—Retail price per piece for Flats up to 3.3oz is $0.191.*
*Prices always subject to change; please contact a customer service representative for more information.
Did you find this article to be helpful? Never miss an update by subscribing to our monthly newsletter.
Ready to get started on your Every Door Direct Mail campaign? Download our reference guide, tip sheet, and free mail templates!